Thursday, April 20, 2006

I learned something new about my body today.

During my kick boxing class I felt a sudden sorness where my thigh meets my . . . self. It hurt and was uncomfortable but not unbearable. I soldiered on.

After class I found the instructor in the locker room and decided to ask her about this strange soreness . . . down there. I pointed to the vicinity and said, "I think I pulled something during class, it really hurts. Any idea what it could be?"

"You must've pulled your groin a bit. I'm sure you'll be fine." she said.

"My what?"

"Your groin."

"I have a groin? I thought that was a guy thing."

"I said your groin, not your prostate."

"Oh."

Kate

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is too funny! It's nice women and men have some parts in common!

If your groin strain has not fully mended by the time you visit Boston, let us know and we'll be kind and extra careful. Selfishly, I hope your adducters work strongly - they contract to pull the legs together, which can feel good for everyone involved.

Stolen from a Google Search:

Groin Pull or Strain

"The adductors are fan-like muscles in the upper thigh that pull the legs together when they contract. The adductors attach the lower inner aspect of the pelvis to the inner aspect of the femur bone. Some adductors attach as far down as the knee. The adductors also help stabilize the hip joint. The most common cause of groin pain is a muscle strain. A strained adductor muscle causes localized pain in the inner thigh, or over the pubis bone. A severe tear causes a sudden, acute pain and often occurs during a sudden change of direction while running. It may be accompanied by swelling and sometimes bruises."

"The most common cause of a groin strain occurs when a muscle is stretched too far or meets an unexpected opposing force. This can result from the quick starts and stops of kicking and running sports. These injuries are especially common in soccer but are also seen in racket sports, basketball, hockey, volleyball, and football. Common symptoms are acute pain, swelling, and, occasionally, bruising of the inner thigh. There is also pain to the touch, pain with resistance movements, and pain with passive stretching of the inner thigh and hamstrings."

10:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey now...don't go off and hurt yourself.

Too many people counting on your sunny disposition to brighten the day. :)

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home