Saturday, April 29, 2006

One would assume I'd never traveled before by the situation I found myself in while visiting Boston. No hotel room. No available hotel rooms in Boston.

The truth is, it had been the day from hell. A late start compounded by a brief situation involving a police officer while speeding down the Thruway and to top it off, missing my exit and adding at least 45 minutes onto my already long commute. When I finally arrived in Boston and found I had no place to stay, it was truly the icing on the cake.

A phone call and a latte paired with excellent conversation later, I found myself at another friend's home settling in for a night on the sofa. With the dog. The following day, I had business to take care of so turning around and heading home was not an option.

Though I would have rather spent my time in Boston as it was intended and felt absolutely terrible for the inconveniences caused in the wake of my day from hell, the weather was beautiful, so I took advantage of it.

Once business was finished, I strolled up and down Newbury Street and the surrounding area. I read a book in the park. I ate a dirty water hot dog. I popped in and out of the shops. Soaking up the sun and the cheery atmosphere, I wandered aimlessly like a tourist who knew her way around. I love Boston, I really do. I miss it wholeheartedly. While Manhattan has a lot to offer, Boston has a lot to offer, too, but in a quieter, cleaner, friendlier way.

And so, back to Boston I go in just a few short weeks.

Kate

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your day from Hell, but it sounds as if you snatched victory from the jaws of defeat! You know how to enjoy an unscheduled day in Boston, Kate.

I was in Boston, too, on a sunny day this week. Maybe you were the fetching young strawberry blonde I saw pausing in front of Lingerie Studio on Newbury Street, and later saw sitting in the Public Garden reading Tom Wolfe's "I Am Charlotte Simmons." If so, you looked like a life-embracing writer or artist, naturally attractive, and a couple of years out of college.

I was too shy to think of a pick up line and too impressed with your concentration to intrude on your thoughts. But I wish I could have been a fly on the wall when you sat sipping your latte with a friend. I love great conversation with a pretty woman.

Well, maybe it was you I saw! Come back up to Boston as soon as possible, but don't exceed the speed limit this time!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home