Thursday, December 14, 2006


With a background in marketing I'm always interested in industry trends. I research most anything I do and anything substantial I purchase. How I love the Internet! The funny thing about this business is that no matter how you want to go about your business plan, there is an intimate and individual nature to the business that one must take into consideration. It's not like selling a product. At least not for me.

After my move to Seattle from New York I began researching the local market and noticed some real differences. My first month was discouraging. I went from a schedule I could hardly manage, practically needing to hire a secretary, to nada. Plus, I was different than a lot of girls in the area and an out-of-towner, to boot. Seattle folks aren't all that welcoming, both in and out of the industry, and within the industry people are naturally skeptical.

Instead of waiting it out I made changes. The new photos and website were something planned regardless of my location. I decreased my rates, added a one hour option and decided to host on a regular basis. Sure, I received several inquiries after I made these changes, but the majority were not people I would choose to see. Potential clients would not allow me to screen them properly but wanted to be allowed in my home (what?). I received emails IN ALL CAPS and from "kids": r u 4 real? heres my pic r u open?. Most of the inquiries I received were from men who didn't care to read my website or my blog, they really had no interest in me as a human being. That wasn't what I wanted.

Being a companionship provider was not a role I acquired because I had to. I wanted to. Fortunately, I am still in that position. I do it because I enjoy it. The income is icing on the cake and allows me many opportunities. Because of this, I don't see suitors who do not appeal to me because of their lack of manners, bad hygeine, indiscretions, disrespect for my safety and seeing me as nothing more than a commodity. Besides safety and discretion, I look for chemistry and long-term potential. I guess patience is not my strong suit and I should know it takes time to establish yourself and gain quality people in your life.

I've decided to drop my incall option. It was an ill-considered decision and I find the incall situation less than discreet in my case. Seeing one gentleman per day, at most, the risk/reward ratio wasn't in my corner. I know there are gentlemen hoping to take advantage of that option and I apologize for the last minute decision. Hopefully it is understood. My one hour local rate and fees in general will stay the same . . . for now.

Kate

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The guys in Seattle of NO idea what they are missing - you are a VERY, VERY, VERY special person - NJ-Alan

4:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kate -

Oh how I wish you had moved to Boston! We so much wanted to be your suitors and gentlemen callers. OK - we wanted to be your friends.

There! I've whined out loud in your blog. Enough of that. I am happy that you are sticking to your ideals and standards. Keep the faith! Never throw pearls before swine. I know you will end up happy and appreciated in Seattle.

- David

5:38 PM  
Blogger Alice W. said...

Hi Kate,
I have never had an incall, and I do not think I have missed out on meeting decent clients because of its absence. My old system was to take an advance hotel fee if a gent preferred for me to book the room. That worked out so well that I now include a room in my regular fee, and take a deposit for all bookings. You can always add that option if you want to offer your clients a way to avoid having the hotel room in their own names.

Smiles,
Alice

4:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems that the seattle community is pretty tight-knit, and a huge chunk of it hangs on clreviewboard.org

Take note that there has been some BIG police activity recently (busts for both providers and clients) and a lot of people are probably sticking to well known (and well reviewed) locals they trust.

Geez, wish I'd known you back when I was in NYC. Nice photos!

-GGL

6:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting perspective and comments; I'm no longer active in the hobby but it was facinating to be able to put myself in your shoes for a moment. I think you'll ultimately find that the Seattle hobbiest community is very active, friendly and open - I suggest a trip to "www.thereviewboard.net" if you haven't already been. It is fair to say that from a pricing and exclusivity standpoint you'll need to earn the respect of the community - I know it must be frustrating starting from scratch, but it's a careful community.

The very best to you as you begin anew in Seattle

Bill
(lt_1_vette@yahoo.com)

6:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a well-intentioned (though perhaps ill-advised) bit of advice, apropos of a couple of comments above:

Don't bother with clreviewboard.org unless you enjoy being insulted by guys with IQs of 85 who assume that the fact they don't understand what you're saying means you're stupid. To allay any residual curiosity as to what they'd tell you, here's the summary: your prices are too high; I'll give you a good review if you give me a huge discount; I know more about being a provider than you do; your prices are too high.

TRB is considerably more civilized, though it's not perfect.

4:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are right to stick to your beliefs. What is Edison, Enstien, and others listened to "the crowd?" It is easy to take pot shots at another because they do not have to be qualifed to do anything other than open their mouth.

Have agreat new year, and thank you for sharing your insights.

Mike

4:21 PM  
Blogger Kate Bishop said...

Thanks for all of the support. I'm much more content.

Best regards,

Kate

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Marketing: selling people things they don't need. Kate, are you trying to sell yourself to people who don't need your BS? Consume, consume, consume; you love promoting all that is pointless.

10:06 PM  
Blogger Kate Bishop said...

Anonymous:

I actually prefer this definition to yours (which I don't think is very accurate):

"At a macro level, marketing is the process of raising the standards of living, by identifying the existing problems and unsatisfied needs of people and then satisfying that need with a product/service that delivers value to the customer."

BS? What BS? I deliver as promised. You and I have never met and you're obviously looking for something different than what I offer, so by all means, move on and find what you're looking for. You're likely not in my demographic anyway.

Best regards,

Kate

2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home