Friday, May 12, 2006

From Wikipedia: Anticipation is an emotion involving pleasure (and sometimes anxiety) in considering some expected or longed-for good event, or irritation at having to wait. Robert Plutchik listed anticipation as one of the eight basic emotions in his psychoevolutionary theory. See also hope. A name for pleasured anticipation is excitement.

Anticipation can be shown in many ways; for example, some people seem to smile uncontrallably during this period, while others seem ill or sick. It is not uncommon for the brain the be so focused into an event, that the body is affected in such a way. Stage fright is a type of anticipation, stemming from the actor or actress hoping that they perform well.


Sometimes in life, anticipation is better than the actual event in which you are anticipating. For me, the most high-risk, expensive or sinful activities provide the most delirious levels of anticipation but also the most disappointment should the highly-anticipated experience fail to meet my now towering standards. I wonder why this is?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog entry strikes a note with me. I agree. Anticipation can be a potent enhancer, but can also upstage what it expects.

If anticipation trys to predict it may disappoint. If anticipation playfully imagines possibilities, facilitating deferred gratification, then the actual event is just a realized possibility, enriched by earlier imagination.

I'm anticipating my upcoming week right now. Just thinking of a person I will meet next week takes me near the delirious levels of anticipation Yet I've met this individual before and have fond recollections. This makes a nice mix: anticipation blended with recollection.

"The anticipation of touch is one of the most potent sensations on earth."
-- Richard J. Finch

"Staying partially clad builds anticipation and makes sex feel spontaneous,"
-- Gloria G. Brame, Ph.D

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home