Sunday, October 29, 2006

This was my first real weekend in Seattle. I have a few boxes and some organizing left to do, curtains and shelves to hang and photos to frame, but the main items are in place so I can take some time for myself. Finally. I realize this may be the last weekend to enjoy the outdoors sans umbrella, too.

On Friday I did some shopping with a friend. We hit all the regular stores and I walked away happy with a new pair of fabulous jeans. Then she drug me to all of the thrift stores in the area to complete her Halloween costume and I ended up with 20 new books -- that makes 50 books on my shelves I have yet to read -- for less than $30! Who knew you could find such great deals on books at Goodwill? I managed to find Maureen Dowd's Are Men Necessary? in hardback. I knew of it and considered picking it up in paperback, but it wasn't on my Must Read List. Maureen Dowd, a popular columnist for The New York Times, is a feminist of sorts. But most of all her writing is sarcastic, witty and fun and while it's a tad harsh at times, it does hold some truth. I can't say whether I agree with her wholeheartedly or not, I haven't read the book. What's A Modern Girl To Do?, an excerpt from the book, was all the talk a year ago. I suggest you check it out and once I open the book I will let you know what I think.

Saturday I spent the afternoon at Pike Place Market. It was a beautiful day outside and the market was packed. I bought a few flower bouquets for my apartment and had a small fresh seafood lunch. I thought about purchasing a load of fresh fish and stocking my freezer before I found out the market is open year-round. On the east coast everything closes in October and reopens in May so fresh produce, fish and meats are very difficult to find for half the year. On the way back to my car I noticed a Four Seasons going in next to The Lusty Lady, to be completed in Spring, 2007 (FYI). Looks as if it will be very modern, all glass with magnificent water views.

In the early evening I took a run along Lake Washington and enjoyed the cool air and the Bellevue skyline. The mountains weren't readily visible, but I could make them out if I concentrated real hard. There were a few boats on the water enjoying the last days of clear weather, otherwise it was me, a couple runners and a small handful of dog-walkers. Oh, and mosquitos.

Today, Sunday, it feels wonderful being home on my sofa, relaxing for the first time since my move. I've been running around, cleaning, painting, unpacking, organizing, hanging, redecorating and basically only sitting to drive or when it's time for bed. I was looking forward to a rainy Sunday indoors but I can see blue sky and sun so I may be forced outside at some point.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home