Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Speaking of traveling, wouldn't it be sad to travel only to obtain a pin in your wall map?

Some enjoy travel simply to say they have been there, done that. They research the destination, not just to research for value and timing, to create expectations. Their vacation is founded upon travel reviews and message boards and then they leave, knowing exactly what will happen and when. They go with their expectations and seek the same experiences as read in books and on the Internet. Instead of finding a location that appeals to them as an individual with their specific needs in mind and then creating their own experience, a mix of planning and chance, they receive a less than unique experience. They come home, write their reviews and stick the pin in their wall map. It will be all they can talk about for the first week, but will eventually turn into just another pin.

Where is the mystery? Where is the romance? Where is the intrigue? Where is the potential for unique experience? Where is the passion? Why are Americans so into the cookie-cutter experience anyway?

Kate

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would as soon stick a pin in my skull to mark a new fact I've learned as to stick a pin in a map to point out a new destination I've bagged. LOL.

I've been lucky in life to have little control over my travel plans. Often, as an engineer, I've been assigned to work for weeks in far off places with a local team of engineers or with customers. My friends and family years ago scattered in all directions (perhaps to avoid me?). Thus, when I arrive in a distant land, I usually tag along with work teams, friends or family. Thank God no tour buses or travel guides!

I've run out of steam, so I'll punt with a few quotes:

"A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." -- Lao Tzu

"My favourite thing is to go where I've never been." -- Diane Arbus

"The journey not the arrival matters." -- T. S. Eliot

“I see my path, but I don't know where it leads. Not knowing where I'm going is what inspires me to travel it.” -- Rosalia de Castro

“The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see.” -- G. K. Chesterton

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do you think many peoples' attitude toward travel is any different from their attitudes toward politics, relationships, food and work? Americans, it seems, view mediocrity as the safe mean: let's have a nice job, with a nice spouse, and good kids. Let's make sure our President is a Christian and looks more or less like us and that we live in a neighborhood where most people are like us. Vacation? Travel? Let's make sure we know what to expect. Don't want to be anywhere near spicy foods or "those people." Let's have an adventure. A safe adventure. A very safe adventure.

And then, of course, there are those of us who'd prefer Bhutan.

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Too many people take the safe, easy way and let someone else do their thinking for them. No risk, no thinking and they get to tick off some items for the next cocktail party. I think it goes ot the heart of wha tth eworld just witnessed on Everest when 40 people walked by a dying man on their way to the summit. Will make for some good party stories.

Traveler or tourist? I admit to being a bit of both. When planning a trip, I usually reasearch it (half the fun!) and get a rough idea of what I want to do when I get there. Once I arrive, I play it by ear and sort of go with the flow. Some items get ticked off my "list" but there are usually items left hanging. Often it is a good excuse to go back.

4:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I win the lottery I'll ask Kate to be my travel guide for a week or two. A magical mystery tour. My wanderer's wish is to place my vacation date fate with Kate. Don't tell me where you are taking me, Kate! Don't worry about the budget.

4:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to plan trips just to take my picture in front of the "Welcome to [State]" signs (why else would you go to Arkansas?). It was actually kind of fun...only Alaska is left... (OK, well, Hawaii didn't really have a border, per se, so I stood in front of the welcome sign in the airport).

12:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home