Monday, June 12, 2006

If you're a fan of National Public Radio and enjoy A Prairie Home Companion, I must recommend the movie. It was just as chaotic and confusing as the radio show and also just as basic and whimsical. Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin as the Johnson siters were very cute and natural together and Lindsay Lohan was unpretentious. Woody Harrelson and John C. Riley were hilarious as Dusty and Lefty. They added a bit of adult humor to the show, though mellow by today's standards (some bathroom humor and male vs. female funnies). Kevin Kline played Guy Noir. It was nice to see him in the movies again, I haven't seen him around lately. He made me laugh. Lastly, GK played himself, Garrison Keillor. After all, the show wouldn't be the same without him and I do believe he wrote the screenplay.

I can say without doubt I was the youngest in the theatre. This was both good and bad. Good because sitting in a theatre with a bunch of teens sans parents can be trying. Bad because this particular audience, well, let's just say they don't get out much. They seemed unable to conduct themselves properly in a movie theatre. Speaking loudly during the show and crinkling their zip lock bags of popcorn, brought from home and snuck through the gates in big handbags. I found it humorous, at least they weren't being malicious, just clueless.

Kate

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a hoot that Garrison Keillor's crowd sneaked popcorn into the theatre. I hope they shared it with you. LOL.

I love that radio show. Usually the live radio audiences seem considerate enough. Of course they are enthusiastic and ready to join in.

I wonder why the movie theatre crowd was so different. Kate, do you think it is because they are used to listening by radio at home or in a car that they've developed a habit of feeling free to share loud running commentary?

9:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home