Friday, July 14, 2006

I've just started reading The Sexual Life of Catherine M. by Catherine Millet. I think the title speaks for itself. I have been meaning to pick it up for ages. Naturally, it's not available in the library and when I am buying books I completely forget (I need to keep a running list). During one of our last hot, rainy days at the (air conditioned) bookstore while looking though the bargain bin, I found a hardcopy for $4.99. What luck!

Admittedly, I am a mere 50 pages in but nonetheless I feel at peace reading her work. I suspected I would as I tend to enjoy the matter-of-fact, romantic nature of books written in other languages and translated into English. When they speak, it's simple, it's the way it is. There is rarely tiptoeing around what we Americans refer to as taboo subjects.

I have a lot to say about this book and the attitude it is written in. I will only mention language in this post. Ms. Millet uses various words for the different body parts and sexual acts. Unlike romance novels that refer to a woman's sexual organs as "her sex" or her "tender lumps" and men as "his manhood", she uses all the words available and not to startle her readers, but simply because words are words. Really, it's the context or tone which can cause a word to hurt, not the words themselves. I would be just as taken aback to be called a vagina as I would a cunt. Admittedly I would be perplexed if someone called me a vagina, but that's not the point. Why is it that we can't say these words, why are they so bad? Why do they make some people cringe? Why are we so obsessed with them? Why are they under our skin? Why do we consider them crass? Can a lady not say such words without being pegged as a woman of loose morals, lacking education and refinement or not being fit for marriage or children? My goodness, why such hype?

Cunt. Penis. Cock. Vagina. Vulva. Whore. Dick. Tits. There, I've said it. Big fucking deal, right?

Kate

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Seriously, this is what I absolutely adore about you! You look like and come across as a sweet, polite, conservative prettier than average but not showy any-girl but in your eyes you have such a fire, such passion. I love the way you think. What can I say, I admire you.

I have read the book and I cannot wait until your next installment.

XXX

2:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember reading a review of the book on Salon a while back. Sounded interesting so I am interested to see what you think of the rest of the book.

Interesting timing for reading this post, since I was in a book store last night and was looking at a new book "Belle du Jour" by a high end London call girl. Looked like it might be a fun read. She had a similar attitude about the language of sex.

Must be the European lack of the "Puritan Ethic".

Recommend "11 Minutes" by Paulo Coelho if you haven't already read it.

1:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hip Hip Hooray! Fireworks from our Kate, and a perfect end to her first installment. Nice contrast of "My Goodness" morphed into "Big fucking deal" as your closer, Kate.

Back in school there was an unfortunate classmate whose parents (Mr and Mrs Dick) had named him Peter Dick. No, they were not part of the Berkeley Free Speech Movement.

If I were called a "prick" then the impact would come primarily from context, tone and the years of implied meanings of "prick" (having little to do with anatomy).

But if I were called "penis" I too would be perplexed at this instance of metonymy - well, unless Kate herself called me that in her ladylike, charming, sly, witty, teasing way.

10:37 PM  
Blogger Elwing said...

you put it admirably. refinement is society an be claustrophobic, which leads to us finding some sort of lieration in vocalizing the simple, the matter-of-fact and the blunt. Did you notice you felt free just saying the words? That's a product of our so-called civlised society and probaby why teenagers love the word fuck.

10:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home