Friday, August 04, 2006

I have been avoiding the blog because I have yet to finish The Sexual Life of Catherine M. by Catherine Millet. I feel as if I haven't finished my homework. Though the approach is interesting compared to books of a similar nature it becomes rather boring less than half-way through. I got to thinking about why I've been meaning to read the book and recall many years ago it was highly recommended. I was in my early 20s. I can see how the book might be fascinating at that age.

Besides the language, I found the non-intimate relations between casual lovers very different from what we're used to in the US. For instance, the fuck buddy in the US is not necessarily respected. Rarely do friends with benefits socialize besides in the bedroom. The relationship is limited to intercourse. If a fuck buddy is even spoken of to friends, it's usually with a lack of respect, almost humor, at the other person's expense. In the book those who were intimate with one another were also friends and colleagues outside of the bedroom. They socialized in groups, spoke of one another kindly and helped each other with business contacts. I believe this has less to do with good people vs. bad people, more of an issue with how Americans view sex (dirty, embarrassing, wrong, sinful). Americans have difficulty looking at someone (especially a woman) who enjoys sex and seeing her as a friend or colleague.

The book provided me with some insight, otherwise it is repetitive and dull. I cannot recommend it, but I would also say it's not to be avoided.

Kate

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your comments on Millet's book are delicious, even if the book itself is a meal which loses its flavor and nourishment midway.

What to do with a purchased book that fails part way through? Is it mere clutter if left on the shelf? Is it a background irritant if it sits there wasting shelf space? Kate, will you recycle Millet's book in the bin for paper? LOL.

You are so right that many Americans are part Taliban at heart. A woman who enjoys sex is more powerful than God. Banish her from the garden.

Have you read *Henry and June* from the diaries of Anais Nin?

9:12 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home